AmeriCorps: 10 Reasons to Serve!
United Way of King County’s Points of Light HandsOn Corps members Jenny, Morgan and Ariana have been hard at work since September! Jenny has been working on the free tax campaign helping low-income King County residents access the tax credits they are eligible for (TAX). Morgan helped organize the Community Resource Exchange, which connects individuals and families experiencing homelessness with the services they need all in one day, in one place (CRE). Ariana is working with the Volunteer Reader Program, which places Volunteer Readers in Head Start Classrooms, preschools and daycare sites to help ensure all kids are ready to succeed and thrive in kindergarten (VRP).
Here is an example of a UWKC project one of the AmeriCorps members helped put in action: CRE
To celebrate AmeriCorps Week, here are 10 reasons why Jenny, Morgan and Ariana are serving this year:
- Community: Make a difference!
- The Education Award: Pay back those student loans or pursue a graduate degree
- Experience: Gain professional experience and build your resume
- People: Make friends with others interested in education, justice and civic engagement
- Educate: Take advantage of AmeriCorps trainings
- Location: Many people move for AmeriCorps positions; discover a new place!
- Learn: About using food stamps and living without much money
- Food: Learn where the free food is (very important on an AmeriCorps stipend!)
- Network: Meet and talk to professionals in the field(s) in which you are interested
- Future: Educate, inform and inspire community members to engage in social change
- Add your reason! Why are you serving this year or why did you serve in the past?