Why the fork?
For the past two weeks, giant forks have invaded the Seattle area–showing up at landmarks, restaurants, public parks, IKEA and even a Sounders soccer match.
Teams of enthusiastic people stood on overpasses waving the oversized forks and holding signs that simply read, “whythefork.org.”
And a @whythefork account on Twitter started posting tweets on everything from the history to cutlery to videos of fork lift stunts gone wrong.
What was this all about?
As KOMO News revealed, the answer to “Why the fork?” is: “Because it’s time to take action against hunger.”
Hunger Action Week was dedicated to raising awareness about hunger in King County. Now let’s do something about it!
United Way of King County is teaming up with a 12 local hunger relief organizations to raise $75,000 for projects that will start making a difference—right away.
YOU can help by supporting these projects with a donation at http://whythefork.org. Through April 14, all gifts will be matched dollar-for-dollar. That means that your gift will be doubled!
- Chicken Soup Brigade: Buy a van to deliver groceries to people who are sick or homebound.
- Clean Greens Farm and Market: Get more locally-farmed produce to families in the Central District
- Community Lunch on Capitol Hill: Serve 10,000 suppers to people going hungry
- Des Moines Area Food Bank: Deliver summer meals to low-income kids around Des Moines
- Downtown Food Bank: Help a food bank at Pike Place Market serve more struggling seniors
- Farms For Life: Get farm-fresh produce to people facing stresses like joblessness or domestic violence
- Food Lifeline: Get more fresh fruits and vegetables to hungry families in Seattle
- Issaquah Meals Program: Renovate a run-down kitchen that serves 700+ meals on the Eastside
- Meals on Wheels: Replace failing freezers
- Rainier Valley Food Bank: Remodel a tiny–yet extremely busy–food bank in Rainier Valley
- Somali Youth and Family Club: Make more culturally-appropriate food available to Somali refugee families
- South King County Food Banks: Update their technology so that they can serve more people
Please click here now to stick a fork in hunger! Give today, and tomorrow more people will eat. Thank you for helping end hunger in our community.